Your region
Tel.  0845 680 0312
Home > News > Noise in Pubs, Clubs and other Entertainment Venues
January 2011 Newsletter

Noise in Pubs, Clubs and other Entertainment Venues

Loud music in pubs and clubs can be a problem to staff and to local residents. The hearing of employees must be protected in line with the EU regulations, and the quality of the environment must be protected for the benefit of anybody living nearby.

We have products available to help with all aspects of Entertainment Noise:

Music Sound Level Control

There are two approaches to controlling the sound level from a DJ or live band:

Cutting the power tends to be a favourite with those enforcing the control, as this is more difficult to bypass. Limiting the volume tends to be prefered by those who own the equipment.

We can provide both methods, or a combination of the two.

Sentry - Cutting the Power

The most popular option, the Sentry, is installed between the mains power and the outlet sockets. It measures the noise levels, gives a high level warning and then cuts the power if the warnings are ignored.

More details...



Automatic Volume Control

The Automatic Volume Control connects between the mixer and amplifier. If the volume is increased too high, this unit attenuates it. Although a warning is given on the units display, this attenuation should not be obvious to club visitors.

More details...


voluime control

Volume Control AND Power Cutting

If you like the Volume Control method but are also forced towards having the ultimate control of cutting the power (live bands with their own equipment for example) then the Sentry can be linked to a Volume Control unit. If the house amplifiers are being used, the Volume Control will keep the volume to an acceptable level. If the Volume Control is bypassed for any reason, the Sentry will give its warning and then cut the power.

More details...

Hearing Protection

Workers in the entertainment industry (bar staff, etc.) should be treated the same as staff in any other industry. Their exposure to noise should be monitored and, if necessary, reduced. This can be done by the usual methods: reduction at source, relocation, staff rotation and hearing protection.

Before making any decisions, a noise assessment should first be carried out using the correct type of sound level meter.


hearing protection

Optimus Red Sound Level Meter

The Optimus Red is a Class 2 Integrating Sound Level Meter, as required by the regulations and the HSE's guidelines. This meter can be used to measure assess all workers' exposure to noise.

More details...
Hiring the Optimus Red...

dBadge Noise Dosemeter

The dBadge Noise Dosemeter is attached to the worker's shoulder and monitors the noise exposure throughout the day. This is often easier than making measurements with a sound level meter and then calculating the exposure.

More details...
Hiring the dBadge...


dBadge noise dosemeter

Fire Alarm Priority

With the typically high sound levels from music in clubs and pubs, it can be difficult to hear a fire alarm and safety announcement.

The CX4 connects between the mixer and amplifier and interfaces with your alarm system. When the alarm activates, the CX4 reduces the music sound level and provides a priority channel for safety announcements.

More details...


guardian fire alarm priority


Telephone 0845 680 0312  
Home - Contact - Applications - Products - News - Rental - Calibration - Search - Help
Sound Level Meters - Dosemeters - Noise Warning Signs - Accessories - Secure Site